Sunday, June 29, 2008

God Sent A Crab

"A Word from Joni's Sister...

In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will. -- Ephesians 1:11

My name is Kathy Eareckson, and Joni is my little sister. I'm the one who was at the beach that day when Joni dove off the raft and broke her neck.

I will never forget that Saturday afternoon in July 1967. I was a teenager, like Joni, and had planned a swimming date with my boyfriend. I knew Joni had hoped to play tennis with her friend that afternoon, but when the match fell through, I asked if she wanted to join us.

We drove to the beach on Chesapeake Bay, and wasted no time in heading for the cool water. I stayed near shore, but Joni made a bee-line for a raft anchored further out in the water. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pinch. A crab pinched my toe! Startled, I shouted to Joni, "Watch out for crabs!" She didn't respond. In fact, she was nowhere in sight. Not on the raft. Not in the water. Something told me to go find her-quickly. I reached her just when she was beginning to drown!

What are the chances of a crab pinching someone's toe and getting her attention just in time to respond to an emergency? A million to one. Every time I've been tempted to doubt God's hand in those terrible circumstances that day, God brings that humble little crab to mind.

From the big events in life down to the tiniest of details, he is great, he is sovereign, and he is in control. ********I've learned from Joni (actually, the Bible) that through puzzling, perplexing, and even heartbreaking as our circumstances might be, we can trust him. Bow low before the throne of your Father who loves you, and cares about every detail of your life.

Praise you, Father. It's so amazing that a God who spins great galaxies across the void of space would care about the seemingly small events of my day.
Blessings,
Joni and Friends"

Taken from Pearls of Great Price. Copyright © 2006 by Joni Eareckson Tada. Used by permission. Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49530

No comments: