Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May 21-29, 2012 Devotional Tidbits


The Word for You Today

1.  Keep your conscience clear.  I Tim 1:19
  • I have to live with myself, so I want to be able to look myself in the eye
  • I want to deserve the respect of others

2.  Cross-examine me, O Lord.  Ps 26:2
  • Look closely at your motives – why you do things
  • Look closely at your affections – what you are drawn to

3.  Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.  Pr 16:13
  • Stop trying to please everyone
  • Goals can change over time…be willing to change directions
  • With God on your side, you will win
  • Believe God is directing your steps
  • God can turn bad situations into something good

4.  Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.  Rom 10:17
  • Wisdom comes by studying God’s Word
  • Faith comes by believing God’s Word
  • Success comes by practicing God’s Word

5.  Therefore, pray…Our Father in heaven…  Mt 6:9
  • I am part of God’s family…He is my Father
  • “in heaven” – that’s the highest place you can go for help
  • “holy is your name” – whatever I do or say today needs to honor God
  • “your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” – say no to myself and yes to God’s will, for I am a witness to a watching world…I have the God-given authority to restrict satan’s defeat in my life

6.  Give us this day our daily bread.  Mt 6:11
  • Partake of what God has for you today to meet the challenges of today
  • Know that God will meet your needs…He is all sufficient

7.  Forgive us...as we forgive…  Mt 6:12
  • I must choose to forgive the ones who has hurt me
  • I must extend mercy to them
  • I must ask God to bless them
  • Then I must turn it over to God for His Holy Spirit to work in me and heal my heart

8.  Deliver us from the evil one.  Mt 6:13
  • Weakness prevents pride – it keeps you humble and reliant on God
  • Weakness creates fellowship – you find you need others
  • Weakness enables you to help others – brokenness helps you to minister to others more effectively

Sparkling Gems from the Greek


James 1:19

New Living Translation (NLT)
19 Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.
·         Learn when to be quiet and listen, and when to speak up
·         We must slow down our minds to hear what others are saying to us
·         I must deliberately focus on what is being said
·         To pretend to listen is rude
·         Listening helps you understand other opinions and positions
·         Break the habit of thinking about others things when someone is talking to you

Galatians 6:2

New Living Translation (NLT)
Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.
·         Be sensitive to those around you who are burdened and heavy hearted, hurt or struggling
·         Ask for God’s wisdom in what to say and how to care for them

Galatians 6:5

New Living Translation (NLT)
For we are each responsible for our own conduct
·         “burden” – an individual’s responsibility in life:  our work, our bills, our children, our household chores
·         Do not enable people to be freeloaders, and help them to accept responsibility for their own lives

1 Timothy 3:1

New Living Translation (NLT)
This is a trustworthy saying: “If someone aspires to be an elder,[a] he desires an honorable position.”
·         Desire is an important quality if one wants to fulfill God’s plan for his life
·         Desire is a longing, a yearning ambition, to achieve or attain something – a determination
·         Obstacles and hindrances could cause you to give up if you do not have an inner desire/drive to overcome and achieve

1 Thessalonians 2:8

New Living Translation (NLT)
We loved you so much that we shared with you not only God’s Good News but our own lives, too.
·         We teach the Word of God through our example as well as our message
·         Our soul:  our lifestyle, our viewpoint, our emotions…we live openly so others can know Christ is our motivator
·         People need a good example to follow – let it be me

Psalm 92:10

New Living Translation (NLT)
10 But you have made me as strong as a wild ox.
    You have anointed me with the finest oil.
·         An anointed person has the hands of God resting on him
·         The oil of the Holy Spirit must penetrate deeply in us so that His power and His aroma might be sensed by those around us

Ephesians 6:16

New Living Translation (NLT)
16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.[a]
·         My faith, like a shield, needs constant anointing of the Holy Spirit to stand up under attack

1 Timothy 3:4

New Living Translation (NLT)
He must manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey him.
·         Children copy their parents’ behavior and speech
·         If there is love and respect in the home, it shows up in the children’s behavior
·         If parents are servants, usually children also become servants

No comments: