Sunday, December 31, 2017

2018 Devotional Reading

I was pleased this morning to have completed reading the Daily Bible in Chronological Order...one of the two devotional readings I chose to read during 2017.  It was my third time through the Bible in such a manner...1988, 2010, and 2017.  I sometimes get buried in the Old Testament scriptures, and am relieved when I start into the New Testament.  When I finish reading the Bible through in one year, I say to myself...that's the last time I'm going to do that!  But...I like to think that God directs me in my devotional choices.  I also completed my reading of A. F. Harper's God Speaks...which was the third time through that book also.  Both of those books are now in my give away bin.

I journal...still.  I start out with my morning devotions, writing down what I am reading that day (book, chapter, page, etc).  Then, as I read, when I see something that I've previously highlighted, or something that just seems to jump out at me, I write those words in my journal.  Two reasons.  Maybe someday some relative of mine may decide to read through the journals of my life, and there will be words of encouragement for them...or something that spoke to me will also speak to them.  Second reason...maybe someday we will have all of our Bibles confiscated, should the Lord tarry and the enemy make his advances of wiping out Christianity.  If that were to happen, God forbid, I know I can go back to my journals from across the years and find scripture that speaks to me...God's words to me.  

This past year I have been in a small group Bible study with a group of ten women at the church we currently attend...Pathfinder United Methodist Church.  Our group leader is a Spirit led woman who encourages us to put our "God goggles" on and see life from His perspective.  One of the books she often referenced is Sparkling Gems from the Greek, Volume 1.  Having studied Greek in my college and seminary years, and occasionally trying to refresh myself in the language, I decided that was the book I wanted to get and use for my 2018 devotional material.  You will now find it listed in the side bar under "Books I Am Currently Reading".  I look forward to delving in tomorrow morning, January 1, 2018.

I like one book for heavy duty reading in my devotions, and one book for a short daily encouragement.  I picked up a large print edition of The Daily Devotion, at a book sale this past year.  It's never been used, and it's just one page for each day.  

Perhaps from my daily reading I will find things to put on my blog as an encouragement, if indeed I go back to regular blogging.  So check back now and then!  Let's see what God might have to say to us this coming year as we look forward to the return of King Jesus!  I'm glad I don't depend on Fox News to encourage me, or Hallmark Movies...though I enjoy them both.  But I need a daily dose of focusing on what God wants me to know, to be aware of.  His Word is a living word...alive each day by the agency of His Holy Spirit in us.  I trust, dear readers, that you are tuned into Him!

No comments: