Friday, March 28, 2008

New Bible Study with Beth Moore

Today I joined a new Bible study at a church we attend. It is a Friday morning study for women, and we are using Beth Moore's newest study: "Stepping Up - a journey through the Psalms of Ascent". The study includes a workbook and a DVD where Beth is actually teaching a group of ladies, and we are participants. I've never been in a Beth Moore series before, but I can tell this is going to be a tremendous study. I love the material, the setting (on location in Jerusalem), and Beth's style of teaching. She makes me long to be a Bible teacher...to know the Word and to share it in a dynamic way with others.

Since none of her book may be copied in any form, I will not be able to use quotes in this blog from this study. I will only be able to give my own synopsis. The Psalms of Ascent are Psalm 120-134. They are even labeled that way in our Bibles, but I never noticed it before. They are the songs that were sung as the Jews made their three times a year pilgrimage to the temple in Jerusalem to celebrate the festivals. Each Psalm represents a step up from the Court of the Women to the Court of the Israelites. There are 15 steps and 15 chapters.

Men and women both could be in the Court of the Women, but only men could ascend and enter the Court of the Israelites, which led to the Court of the Priests and the holy of holies. Thank goodness we live this side of the cross. Because of Jesus' sacrificial death at Calvary, both men and women are able to enter the holy of holies in their own hearts where the Presence of God awaits. As I enter this study, as I fall on my face before God Almighty to hear from Him, may I be stretched and molded more and more into the likeness of Jesus Christ. May I fulfill His complete purpose for my life. May I say yes to whatever He brings into my life, or removes from me. I just want to be His.

No comments: