Saturday, March 22, 2008

Saturday Morning Devotional Thoughts

First Thought...

Determine to worship before you enter the church, no matter what the music is like. Focus on God, not the music. (a synopsis of Chuck Milhuf's admonition in "The Evangelist's Perspective", Spring 2008). I am often dissatisfied with the music at church because it doesn't take me into my "comfort zone" where I can just close my eyes and lift my voice to Jesus in worship. We are constantly being given new songs to sing, on the screen with no musical notes to follow, and I don't know the words or the tune. When I am having to concentrate on putting new words to a new tune, it's hard to concentrate on Jesus. A new song now and then...fine...but every week, it seems, is hard for me to accept and still worship. So Chuck has stabbed my heart with his thoughts. If I am not comfortable learning the new song, is it okay to close my eyes and worship during that time?

Second Thought...

Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God. You must warn each other every day, as long as it is called 'today', so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God. For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ. But never forget the warning: 'Today you must listen to his voice. Don't harden your hearts against him as Israel did when they rebelled.'" (Hebrews 3:12-15)

The Lord is slow to anger and rich in unfailing love, forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion. Even so he does not leave the sin unpunished. (Numbers 14:18)

Third Thought...

"The force behind the hammer wasn't an angry mob...the hand squeezing the handle wasn't a Roman infantry-man...the verdict...wasn't decided by jealous Jews. Jesus himself chose the nails... Had the soldier hesitated Jesus himself would have swung the mallet." "That's how much he loves you." (Max Lucado's quote on pg. 16 in "The Word for You Today")

Fourth Thought...

Don't be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me. There are many rooms in my Father's home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly. When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. (John 14:1-3)

This has been a favorite scripture passage since I was a child. Today it is all the more precious to me, for it is the HOPE I hold on to...to be with Jesus, and my loved ones, and the new sisters and brothers in Christ that I am just now meeting, FOREVER!! Wow. Incomprehensible...the Unknown. But I am in love with the Speaker of those words...the Peace-Maker...my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and I excitedly anticipate seeing Him face to face!

No comments: