Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday Afternoon Snippets

Whew...the "holidays" are over! Thank the Lord!! I love the music and the lights and decorations and getting together with family and friends and making holiday meals and goodies...but after a while it becomes a bit too much. We start at Thanksgiving and go non-stop until the last gathering is over. This year I've been looking forward to getting on with the new year and just getting back to normal! Only...I love change. So I am hoping that normal for 2009 brings about some changes. Don't know what I am looking for, I just want to be accepting when it comes.

These are the winter slow down days where I do much more reading, watching Hallmark movies and videos, and I'm less active. I need spring to show up early so I can get myself back out walking three miles every day with the dogs, and picking up limbs and just enjoy being outside. As it is, I got some new "spikes" for my boots so I don't have to worry so much about slipping on the ice that's hiding under the snow. Although I must say that today's mist and warmer temperature may take care of most of the snow that is still lingering...except for the piles that were plowed out of the roads. However, rest assured, it's not over yet! And it's been so cold this winter...lots of wind.

My email and my blogging has slowed way down. Can't say that I've been in a big hurry to do either. One thing that remains constant, however, is my daily devotional/meditation time that I spend praying and reading through various books to see what God has to say to me. That's a daily must do...just to keep my balance and my relationship with my Lord up to date and vibrant. So...here's few things he has said to me lately from my reading:

  • Do not wear yourself out by trying to be all things to all people---quit looking for acceptance. Just honor God and live pleasing to Him, for in the end that truly is all that matters.
  • Sail on...one day at a time...and you will reach your destiny!
  • Make Sundays holy...not hectic. Have a plan.
  • Don't quit...persevere...keep at it. Hang in there until the task is done. That's how you grow.
  • Be thankful for the hard things: disappointment, loneliness, trials...for they bring you closer to God as you seek His face in the midst of turmoil.
  • We all have a need to be needed. Not feeling needed leads to depression.
  • Morning by morning he wakens me and opens my understanding to his will... Therefore, I have set my face like a stone, determined to do his will. And I know that I will triumph. (Isaiah 50: 4,7)

No comments: