Sunday, December 19, 2010

Surrender

This is my regular Sunday update.  It's been a cold week, not much snow, but the ice remains so I am still not out walking the dogs.  The last time I walked them Tuxedo froze up halfway to our destination.  Had to carry him the rest of the way as he could not get his body to move forward...very unusual.  But being almost 13, I imagine the muscles are a little weaker when it's so cold and trying to maneuver on ice.  I decided to not put the dogs through that.  They are having enough trouble adjusting to the cats for which I am providing food and sleeping pens on the front porch.  I hate to see animals struggle in the extreme temperatures.  Tender hearted.


We delivered more donated items to the Jesus Film Mall Ministry this week.  They are having a great response, but are in need of more volunteers.  We do not live close enough to help with that part of the ministry.  May God provide.


Went to a Christmas Cafe at a local church last night to hear Christmas music.  I am having a very hard time this year getting in the "Christmas Spirit".  I normally love to see the lights and hear the music and such, but this year I sense I am just going through the motions.  I have been baking cookies each week of December for our maintenance crew and some shut ins.  I've enjoyed that.


Here are the summary notes from my devotional reading this week, which seemed to focus on surrender:

  • your greatest mistakes often come from impatience
  • when you've passed your biggest test, you are at a point where God can use you
  • surrender is:
    • demonstrated by obedience
    • saying "Yes, Lord." to whatever He asks
    • obeying God even when it doesn't make sense (Abraham/where?...Hannah/when?...Mary/how?...Joseph...why?)
  • you are surrendered when you trust God to work things out instead of relying on or manipulating others, or forcing your own agenda and controlling the situation
  • doing things God's way gives you peace, freedom, and power
  • when you have a lack of peace, it can mean the heavenly whistle has been blown, and it's time to reevaluate your direction
  • victory comes through surrender
  • if you don't surrender to Christ, you surrender to chaos
  • you are free to choose what you surrender to, but you're not free from the consequences of your choice
  • nothing under God's control will ever be out of control
By my next post Christmas 2010 will be over.  I hope the family get togethers went peacefully.  We need to learn to cherish each other, for we may not come this away again.  I have a friend who just found out she is loaded with cancer...will she be here next year?  I'm sure that will be on her family's minds as they celebrate the birth of Jesus together.  Reality is that none of us have the promise of another year, so let's enjoy the one we are in.  (Hear yourself, Carol!!)

No comments: