Sunday, August 21, 2011

It's the Cat Lady Again

Well, I trapped three more kittens this week.  One black, two gray, and I thought I had them all, when sure enough...a fourth one showed up on our porch, part of the same litter.  But my traps were already full.  Had them fixed and returned to us, healed for a couple of days, and now they are out roaming the campground, hopefully keeping our varmints under control.  They may be too young yet.  I guess they are about 4 months old.  My question is, when will it ever stop?  When will we quit having kittens?  I'm trying to catch the older ones who are producing these litters, and sending them to the "farm".  I just can't handle animals getting hurt, so I'm trying to do my part.


Had a good week, nice weather, final week of camp.  We had 2-3 weekend groups.  We are pretty well booked up on our fall weekends.  That's good, keeps the operating monies coming in.  


We took one couple out for Friday evening.  They have spent their summer volunteering in our camping programs (they live in Florida 9 months of the year).  We took them to Shipshewanna (Amish country) to eat at the Blue Gate Restaurant (family style...wonderful food), and then to a southern gospel concert in their theater after supper.  Greater Vision was there, hubby's favorite group.  It was a blessed night...God's presence was among us.  Greater Vision is a genuine, from the heart, group who believe in honoring God in all they do, say, sing.  They are funny and entertaining, but they also had us in tears as we worshiped and sang along with some of the old hymns.


You know, there is a large segment of us who miss the traditional way of worshiping...we are tired of the choruses on the wall and the rock and roll bands.  I'm sure that has it's place, and it reaches young people, but what about the rest of us?  Why do we have to change our method of worship?  Can there not be a blend of music?  I was told at lunch that the senior adults are the largest group of people leaving the church.  They can't worship with loud "rock and roll" type music.  It goes against the standards they were raised by, it goes against their traditional way of being led into the presence of God and ready for Him to speak.  I'm one of "them".  


During the three summer months we hold "Come As You Are' Sunday morning worship services on the grounds in our Learning Center.  I've seen more and more people coming to those services, because they are looking for church as it used to be.  They would like to have this become a year round church.  I don't think that will happen with a denominational church one mile down the road, but I understand their frustration, their hurt, their desire to worship in a way that is meaningful to them.   What's the answer?  Wish I knew.  I'll be searching for that answer as our CAYA services draw to a close after Labor Day.


Here are my devotional verses and thoughts from this past week:


The Word for You Today:


1.  "Don't jump to conclusions!  (I will guard my ways that I may not sin with my tongue.  Ps. 39:1).  Before you jump to conclusions about someone, stop and ask God for wisdom, then sit down and make a list of their best qualities.  That way you can approach them with the right attitude and say things you won't regret."


2.  "Live as God intended.  (1) Guard your tongue, say less than you think.  (2) Make promises sparingly, and keep them faithfully.  (3)  Always say a kind word.  (4)  Be genuinely interest in others.  (5) Be cheerful.  (6) Keep an open mind, get all the facts.  (7) Discourage gossip.  (8) Be sensitive to feelings of others.  (9) Pay no attention to ill-natured remarks about you.  (10) Don't worry about the credit, just give your best and be patient!"


I Corinthians

  • ...no temptation is irresistible.  You can trust God to keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it, for he has promised this and will do what he says.  He will show you how to escape temptation's power so that you can bear up patiently against it."  (10:13)  (sent this one to my granddaughter as she starts back to Middle School.  I can't imagine all that she is up against in her world, but I pray God leads her through the maze, and she comes out strong!)
  • ...you must do everything for the glory of God, even your eating and drinking.  (10:31)
  • I try to please everyone in everything I do, not doing what I like or what is best for me, but what is best for them, so that they may be saved.  (10:33)
  • Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud, never haughty, or selfish or rude.  Love does not demand its own way.  It is not irritable or touchy.  It does not hold grudges and will hardly even notice when others do it wrong.  It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever truth wins out.  If you love someone you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost.  You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him, and always stand your ground in defending him.  All special gifts and powers from God will someday come to an end, but love goes on forever.  (13:4-8)
  • Let love be your greatest aim; never the less, ask also for the special abilities the Holy Spirit gives, and especially the gift of prophecy, being able to preach the messages of God.  (14:1)
  • But one who prophesies, preaching the messages of God, is helping others grow in the Lord, encouraging and comforting them.  So...the one who prophesies, preaching messages from God, helps the entire church grow in holiness and happiness. (14:3-4)

Psalm:
  • Do you want a long, good life?  Then watch your tongue!  Keep your lips from lying.  Turn from all known sin and spend your time in doing good.  Try to live in peace with everyone, work hard at it.  (34:12-14)
  • The Lord is close to those whose hearts are breaking; he rescues those who are humbly sorry for their sins.  (34:18)
  • Be delighted in the Lord.  Then he will give you all your heart's desires.  Commit everything you do to the Lord.  Trust him to help you do it and he will.  (37:4-5)
  • Rest in the Lord, wait patiently for him to act.  Don't be envious of evil men who prosper.  Stop your anger.  Turn off your wrath.  Don't fret and worry---it only leads to harm.  For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing.  But all who humble themselves before the Lord shall be given every blessing, and shall have wonderful peace. (37:7-11)

Proverbs:
  • Keep your mouth closed and you'll stay out of trouble.  (23:23)

Seems like this week there was quite a bit of instruction about guarding the tongue and the way we speak.  I am forever trying to learn this.  In fact, I have written a verse and put in over my desk to remind me:  Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders, and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. (I Thess. 4:11-12)  God has been speaking to me in many ways and means the past eight years since we have been here on the campgrounds.  Perhaps I'm listening better now that I have lots of time to myself, less distractions. May I continue to learn, and put into practice that which I learn.  May God keeping working on me!!

No comments: