Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wednesday Night Blog Update

I did not post a blog on Sunday, as is my normal routine, so thought I would catch up tonight.  We flew through Girls' Camp last week, lots of hot and humid weather, one stormy night.  All went well, girls went home with happy memories.  This week is Boys' Camp, our last official camp of 2011.  We will host a college soccer camp, but they sort of run their own camp.  We house and feed them.


This week is much nicer camping weather.  It was in the 70's today, down in the 50's tonight.  The boys are enjoying so many activities, as did the girls.  ILNC has much to offer now.  Canoeing, Zip-line/Climbing Wall, Archery, field games, Frisbee Golf, swimming in the lake, Gaga court, Tether Ball, Dodge Ball court...the list goes on.  There's something for everyone.  


Both my sweethearts started school this week.  I talked with them tonight, and they both like their schools.  That's good!!  I asked Little Princess if she made a new friend at school, and she replied, "I have a lot of new friends!"  Good deal!!  Big Sis has got her group of friends back together.  She really likes her school, she tells me that often.  I'm glad she looks forward to each day.


I woke up in the mood to clean today.  I had a long list, but I ended up only getting the front porch cleaned.  It looks good.  I spent the afternoon on the boat with the canoers and out at the zip-line.  I swept floors tonight, but I was intending to do much more in-depth cleaning today.  The weather was so great, I started outside, and didn't get beyond the porch.  Oh, well, I have the rest of my life to clean, right?


Here's my devotional verses and thoughts from the last week and a half:


"The Word For You Today":
1.  God gave us discernment to enable us to pray for one another, not criticize.


2.  Let your spouse know how much you appreciate him/her.


3.  God is doing a work in you.  You can count on tribulation as you walk with God, but you can also count on God's grace to see you through.  Whatever you ask God for (patience, wisdom, strength, success), He works in you to develop you through His process so that you might grow into that for which you asked.


4.  Are you a good listener?  (a)Listen actively:  paraphrase, restate what you hear; Clarify:  ask questions; Feedback:  share your own thoughts without judging.  (b)Listen with empathy, put yourself in their shoes.  (c)Listen openly, try to understand.  (d)Listen with awareness.  Are they consistent, factual, honest?  (e)If you don't understand their point of view, don't attack them; just thank them for sharing with your their perspective.


5.  Love cares more for others than for self. (I Cor 13:4)  Here's some hints on building good relationships:  (a)Disagreements will either give you ulcers or understanding.  (b)Make conflict a time to learn, not loose.  (c)Be gracious to others as God is gracious to you. (d)Allow those who fail to keep their dignity.




Psalm:


  • Friendship with God is reserved for those who reverence him.  With them alone he shares the secrets of his promises. (25:14)
  • Assign me Godliness and Integrity as my bodyguards.  (25:21)
  • The one thing I want from God, the thing I seek most of all, is the privilege of meditating in his Temple, living in his presence every day of my life, delighting in his incomparable perfections and glory.  There I'll be when troubles come.  He will hide me.  He will set me on a high rock out of reach of all my enemies.  (27:4-5)
  • Don't be impatient.  Wait for the Lord, and he will come and save you!  Be brave, stouthearted, and courageous.  Yes, wait and he will help you.  (27:14)
  • Weeping may go on all night, but in the morning there is joy.  (30:5)
  • You alone are my God; my times are in your hands. (31:14)

Proverbs:
  • Don't repay evil for evil.  Wait for the Lord to handle the matter.  The Lord loathes all cheating and dishonesty.  
  • He who guards his...tongue keeps himself from calamity.  (21:23)
  • We can justify our every deed but God looks at our motives.  (21:2)
  • God is more pleased when we are just and fair than when we give him gifts.  (21:3)

I Corinthians:
  • But, strange as it seems, we Christians actually do have within us a portion of the very thoughts and mind of Christ.  (2:16)
  • Now the most important thing about a servant is that he does just as his Master tells him to.  What about me?  Have I been a good servant?  Well, I don't worry over what you think about this, or what anyone else thinks.  I don't even trust my own judgment on this point.  My conscience is clear, but even that isn't final proof.  It is the Lord himself who must examine me and decide.  (4:2-4)

No comments: