Sunday, September 18, 2011

Looking Good on the Home Front!

Here I am...it's Sunday night, and another week has gone swiftly by.  We again went to Lansing First CON for the morning service.  Hubby assisted this morning and led the congregational singing.  It was good to see him in that role again...it's been a while!  He is so gifted in that area...knows what to say, and relates well with the congregation.  He filled in for the regular song leader who had surgery on her jaw and has it wired shut currently.  


Our Florida friends went along with us this week, and after church we had an excellent lunch at Cheddars.  If you have a Cheddars near you, it's definitely worth your time to check it out.  Very reasonable in price, and lots of choices on the menu.  


On the way back home we stopped at a funeral home for a visitation for one of our RVers who passed away mid-week.  She had a long battle with cancer.  We also attended a funeral this week for one of my older ladies that I have kept tabs on the past few years.  At 91 and a long time victim of stroke effects, she is finally at home with Jesus and her husband and son.  We had another leaseholder death this weekend...a gentleman in his 90's.  


They say these things come in threes, so I hope that's it for a while.  I can only rejoice with those who have gone to their heavenly rest, no more suffering and pain and frustrations that this life brings across our paths.


This past week we hosted the fall workshop for our District CON pastors and staff, called "Changing the Climate".  It was three days of looking at how we do church, and how it needs to change to be more effective in ministering to the world we are in today.  Paul attended, and the sessions were quite thought provoking....much for the church leaders to chew on and digest and utilize in their own church settings.


Took another cat into the Human Society this week to have it fixed and returned.  This is our first yellow kitten, named "Peaches" by my husband.  So cute, so gentle, but now out there with the other 8 feral cats we have "transformed" this summer.  This is the only light colored one we have.  If we could have an inside cat, this is the one I would have kept.  We do have a pack of coyotes and will be working on that situation, hopefully before they find the cats.


Wednesday night I had a lasagna supper for a couple of couples.  Nice evening.  Doing more entertaining these days than I normally do.  But then again, we have had more volunteers this year than in previous years, and I want to show them how much we appreciate them.  We want them back!!


Yesterday hubby was in the "clean up" mood, I guess.  He washed the van and utility trailer and put them away for the winter (van needs transmission work).  He spray washed the house and driveway.  He fixed the mower (needs new starter).  Combine his work with all the painting and decorating that has been done on the house by our Florida friends and the place is looking pretty good!!  (Thus this week's title).  Feels like we are getting ready for a long winter...don't know what that means!  We are having some more landscaping rocks put around the house also.  


The sermon this morning gave us all something to think about.  So I will ask you, my blog audience, the same question we were asked:  If you knew that Jesus was coming back in one week, how would you spend this week?  What difference would it make in your life if you only had one more week here on this earth?  I think I'm most concerned about my family.  Will we all be together for eternity?  I'm a Mom.  I'm a Grandmother.  My attachments run deep.  I can't bear to think of being eternally separated from those I love.  What would I do if this were my last week?  How could I make an impact that makes a difference?  That's my prayer this week...Jesus show me what you would have me say and do before my life is ended.


And with that, let's move to my devotional reading for this past week.


Psalm

  • But when I am afraid, I will put my confidence in you.  Yes, I will trust the promises of God.  And since I am trusting him, what can mere man do to me?  (56:3-4)
  • This one thing I know:  God is for me!  (56:9)
Isaiah
  • He will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in him, whose thoughts turn often to the Lord!   Trust in the Lord God always for in the Lord Jehovah is your everlasting strength.  (26:3-4)
  • Lord, grant us peace; for all we have and are has come from you.  (26:12)
  • Yet we have this assurance:  Those who belong to God shall live again.  (26:19)
Proverbs
  • Don't envy evil men but continue to reverence the Lord all the time, for surely you have a wonderful future ahead of you.  There is hope for you yet!  (23:17-18)
Galatians
  • I am trying to please God.  If I were trying to please men I could not be Christ's servant.  (1:10)
  • For even before I was born God had chosen me to be his, and called me---what kindness and grace...(1:15)
  • I have been crucified with Christ, and I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  (2:20)
Proverbs
  • Don't refuse to accept criticism, get all the help you can.  (23:12)
Personal note:  I need all the help I can get!  I've been stubborn, protecting my rights, instead of being a submissive servant.  God has opened doors, and all I could look at were the negatives in the way, rather than the beauty of new territory, and the challenge of growing stronger and deeper.  Now I've reduced my effectiveness and my ability   Lord, I am so weary of my stubbornness and self defense mechanisms.  Help me to once again find a way back to being the servant you have called me to be...by love, serving one another...one by one.  Amen.

The Word for You Today

1.  God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and of a sound mind.  (2 Tim 1:7)
  • faith is given by God in order for us to conquer our fears and live to the fullest, as He intended
  • fear is a spirit that can control us, but God has a better way:  power, love, and a sound mind
2.  Confront your fears:
  • when you are controlled by fear, your destiny in life will not be fulfilled
  • faith in God helps you to be pleasing to Him and to overcome your fears so you can do what He created you to do
3.  God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in Spirit.  (John 4:24)

4.  "In the stream of God's presence:
  • our deepest thirst is quenched
  • our wounds are healed
  • our strength is renewed
  • we are placed beyond the reach of the enemy"
5.  Keep your priorities in place
  • know your purpose, align your priorities and live by them
  • be fully committed to Christ, then to one another in Christ, and finally to the work of Christ
  • make God's Word and communication with God through prayer your first priority

No comments: