Sunday, December 11, 2011

Worship the Christ of Christmas

I'm just in from our Sunday evening service at the local Nazarene church.  We sang some of the old traditional Christmas hymns tonight...such a Spirit of peace was amongst us...it felt like we were truly worshiping the Christ of Christmas, and not just going through a program.  


Friday night we went on the church bus to Grand Rapids to  attend the Gaither Christmas Concert at the Van Andel Arena.  It started at 7 p.m. and didn't get over until 11 p.m.  What a concert!  All of the artists were good, and God's presence was there.  I took a box of chocolates to pass around the bus.  I told them I don't do Christmas Cards, but I do chocolates..so this was my treat.  We had fun.


We installed Sky Angel on our TV this week.  We used to have it through our satellite until they quit broadcasting that way.  Now we can get it through wireless internet, as long as we have their box.  We made the investment as I missed having the good music and family programming that Sky Angel offers.  Now I can have my Hallmark movies once again, and I've spent the week with them.  They are so heart warming, always a happy ending, and good family values promoted.  Plus I can get gospel music any time I want it.  It's a good source of entertainment when I am tired of reading.  I just have to discipline myself and not let it consume my life...planning my schedule around the programs.  


I took our littlest kitten, Snickers, into the Humane Society this week to have it fixed, and found out it was too little...didn't weigh two pounds yet.  But someone at their office wanted to adopt the kitten, so it now has a warm home for the winter.  Today I noticed two of its siblings on the neighbor's porch.  Only a matter of time and they will be on our porch where the food is.  There is always another cat/kitten to watch over.  We had gotten quite attached to Snickers, but we are happy he is safe and loved.


I spent yesterday getting all the gifts wrapped for our Christmas time with the family.  I'm ready to go...and can hardly wait.  The highlight of my year is to be with my family.  I never take it for granted.  It's been a year since we have seen our oldest son and his wife.  


It's been cold this week.  Had a snow and ice storm on Friday.  So nice to hunker down at home during such weather.  But I am glad to have Sky Angel to keep me entertained!


Well, now to my devotional highlights from this past week:


The Word for You Today
1.  "Stop Waiting for Perfect Conditions"

  • things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out
  • those who "think right" succeed
  • failure is just part of the learning process - you learn what not to do
  • keep trying, keep learning, keep moving forward
2.  "The Grace to Handle It"
  • only in having the perspective of Christ can we replace our resentment with rejoicing
3.  "Seeing the Hand of God in It"
  • we can't avoid problems, but we can change how we look at them
  • ask god to show you His hand at work in your problems

Hosea
  • I don't want your sacrifices -- I want your love; I don't want your offerings -- I want you to know me.  (6:6)
I John
  • Loving God means doing what he tells us to do, and really, that isn't hard at all; for every child of God can obey him, defeating sin and evil pleasure by trusting Christ to help him.  (5:3-4)
  • Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts.  (21)
2 John
  • And now I want to urgently remind you, dear friends, of the old rule God gave us right from the beginning, that Christians should love one another.  If we love God, we will do whatever he tells us to.  And he has told us from the very first to love each other. (1:5-6)
Jude
  • ...in the last times there would come those scoffers whose whole purpose in life is to enjoy themselves in every evil way imaginable. They stir up arguments; they love the evil things of the world; they do not have the Holy Spirit living in them.
  • But you, dear friends, must build up your lives even more strongly upon the foundation of our holy faith, learning to pray in the power and strength of the Holy Spirit.
  • Stay always within the boundaries where God's love can reach and bless you.  Wait patiently for the eternal life that our Lord Jesus Christ in his mercy is going to give you.  Try to help those who argue against you.
  • Be merciful to those who doubt.  Save some by snatching them as from the very flames of hell itself.  And as for others, help them to find the Lord by being kind to them; but be careful that you yourselves aren't pulled along into their sins.  Hate every trace of their sin while being merciful to them as sinner.  (18-23)
Psalm
  • God wants his loved ones to get their proper rest.  (127:2)
Proverbs
  • Where there is ignorance of God, crime runs wild; but what a wonderful thing it is for a nation to know and keep his laws.  (29:18)





No comments: