Sunday, January 3, 2016

Journey 2016 - Courage (1/2/16)

Our pastor started a new sermon series today, this first Sunday in 2016, entitled "Journey 2016".  If you know me at all, you know I consider my life a journey, and I'm keeping a journal...thus my blog "A Slice of Journal Pie".  When the pastor announced this series, I immediately tuned in.  Especially with where Paul and I are at in our journey...taking it one day at a time, not sure what God is up to, but willing to go at His pace, in His time, surrendered to His leading.  

I found myself taking notes during the sermon today, something I have not done for a long time, and I have decided that I would post a weekly blog on this series, which will take us down to Easter.  I will try to recap the sermons in brief notes.  For those of you who do not attend church, check back weekly for a sermon recap from our church and pastor.  Paul and I are grateful to be here for such a time as this, believing God has placed us here for this winter at least.  Believe me, it doesn't make sense to us yet, but we realize we are on an adventure with Jesus, and we are excited.

Sermon Text:  Luke 5:1-11 (NLT)
One day as Jesus was preaching on the shore of the Sea of Galilee, great crowds pressed in on him to listen to the word of God. He noticed two empty boats at the water’s edge, for the fishermen had left them and were washing their nets. Stepping into one of the boats, Jesus asked Simon, its owner, to push it out into the water. So he sat in the boat and taught the crowds from there.
When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Now go out where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish.”
“Master,” Simon replied, “we worked hard all last night and didn’t catch a thing. But if you say so, I’ll let the nets down again.” And this time their nets were so full of fish they began to tear! A shout for help brought their partners in the other boat, and soon both boats were filled with fish and on the verge of sinking.
When Simon Peter realized what had happened, he fell to his knees before Jesus and said, “Oh, Lord, please leave me—I’m too much of a sinner to be around you.” For he was awestruck by the number of fish they had caught, as were the others with him. 10 His partners, James and John, the sons of Zebedee, were also amazed.
Jesus replied to Simon, “Don’t be afraid! From now on you’ll be fishing for people!” 11 And as soon as they landed, they left everything and followed Jesus.

Word for today - Courage
Courage is the first thing needed for the journey with Jesus.  It takes a person of integrity to commit to following Jesus and walking in obedience to Him.

1.  Your journey doesn't have to make sense...you don't have to understand it.  You just have to be obedient to God.  (Luke 5:5)

2.  Do it God's way.  We need courage to obey God and to do it His way.   (Luke 5:4)

3.  Follow Jesus whatever the cost.  God doesn't make mistakes.  He is God of the mountains, but also God of the valleys.  There will be times when you need to get up and try again, just like Peter the disciple had to do.  He made mistakes, he let Jesus down, but he just got up and kept trying again.  God used Peter in mighty ways.  He can use you. (Luke 5:11)




No comments: