Monday, January 3, 2011

Welcome to 2011

Here it is...the First Sunday of the New Year.  Welcome to 2011 and all of its promises.  For just this one year, lets you and me focus on the promises, and turn the problems over to God.  He's better equipped to handle them than we are, and He already knows the outcome anyway.   

I guess you could say one of my strong traits is organization.  I like to keep an orderly house and office.  I like to know where things are and what's coming up on the calendar.  I am a planner, but I can also be spontaneous.  I like surprises (good ones!).  So this past week I have been archiving files at the office and setting up for the new year.  Today I went through the household files, doing the same things.  I am ready to prepare the tax papers (have to wait on the W-2's...which is my responsibility at work.  I'll have them out this next week hopefully.)  It's just a good feeling to start afresh at the beginning of each year.

I also like to start afresh each morning.  I'm a routine person...it helps me keep balance in my life.  My day starts out with my quiet time with God.  I am fortunate to have a small (and I mean very small) office, which I call my study...my Son-Room.  I have a chair at which I can kneel and start my day out talking with my Father.  My desk takes up the rest of the room, but this is where I read my daily devotional material and write in my journal and check in on my daily computer sites (weather, bank, music, Greek, email, and blog). Seems like whenever I come in this room, one or both of my dogs join me.  Tuxedo usually comes in to pray with me, and Kefli comes in and sits on the pillow near my feet.  They are such good companions.  

After my daily quiet time, I walk the dogs (if weather permits).  Then I get ready for the rest of my day.  I like to walk to work if it's not too cold or icy out.  I walk home at lunch.  Often I take the dogs with me to work.  They get bored at the house, and I like having walking companions.  Walking is my form of physical exercise...I don't belong to a gym or Curves because I know I wouldn't be faithful to go.  I like doing what comes naturally, and walking is a very natural way to exercise.

Our office is open Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, but I often go in on Mondays and/or Wednesdays.  Since this is tax month, and I'm the one who does the taxes and sends out the annual forms, this will be a busy month for me.  I need to work on the off days so I am not disturbed by customers.  I will also do my shopping on either Mondays or Wednesdays...my once a week outing.  I look forward to that time...a break from the camp grounds.  During the evenings after supper I tend to use the computer for a while and then kick back and read until bedtime.  

Saturdays are my days to do housework or join hubby in whatever he is doing.  Laundry for me is whenever the basket is full...so it could happen any day of the week, except Sunday.  Saturday is  usually a very flexible day, but we like it to end with pizza and ice cream.  Our once a week treat!!

Sundays we attend corporate worship, have a large lunch, and then just relax the rest of the day...take a nap, read the paper, use the computer for various activities.  This is the day I also like to write my weekly general journal blog and work on my I Peter blog.  I tend to plan for the week ahead:  choose clothes for each day, plan the weekly menu, check my calendar, prepare for what's ahead the next several days.  

So that's a little insight to how I organize my life.  I truly live a laid-back life, even if it sounds structured.  It just helps me keep my balance when I follow routines, allowing for some flexibility.  I live a quiet life, home most of the time, not much activity.  I could probably use a few more outlets.  I keep looking for what interests me.

Had a good weekend.  We spent New Year's Eve with about 20 other people at a neighbor's house.  Lots of finger foods, games, sharing the highlight of 2010.  For me my 2010 highlight was my granddaughter accepting Jesus into her heart.  Somehow it makes my time living and working on this campground worth it all.  New Year's Day we opened our Learning Center building on the campgrounds and invited people to bring in a finger food pot luck lunch.  We had the big screen set up for the Rose Bowl Parade and the football games after lunch.  Some of us played games instead of watching football.  Several attended...lots of food.  It was a nice time.

Okay...time to check back in my journal for the highlights of my devotional reading this week.  What is God saying to me?

See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut.  (Rev 3:7)  I love open doors...I am always looking for them, for I love changes (especially moving).  We've been here 7 years now, and that's a long time for me to stay in one place.  But I am asking for contentment to live here as long as God wants us here.  Hubby is totally content here...he has a vision for the future of this campground, and he sees so many things coming about.  2010 was a good year for Indian Lake Nazarene Campground.

I am coming soon.  Hold on to what you have... Those whom I love, I rebuke and discipline.  So be earnest, and repent.  Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.  (Rev 3:12...21)  Oh, I would love for Jesus to come soon.  I've been waiting for Him.  I want to see Mom and Dad again.  But meanwhile I want to be the person God wants me to be...I want to be disciplined, and I want to dine with Him in His daily Word to me.

Some notes from "The Word for You Today" (see side bar) on becoming more and more like Christ:

  • It is your character, not your personality, that is transformed as you become more like Christ.
  • Having life abundantly doesn't mean a lack of adversity, but rather it means growing more like Christ in the midst of adversity.
  • God's power is unleashed in obedience.  When we make the right choices, He gives wisdom and faith and power and love to follow through with those choices.
  • When we surrender our weaknesses and fears to God, the Holy Spirit works in us to develop us more in the image of Christ.
  • Our responsibility in becoming more like Christ:  1) Letting go of our old ways  2) Having our thoughts renewed through prayer and reading/applying God's Word  3) Developing new habits that please God  4) Taking our focus off ourselves and focusing on Christ so that our outlooks change  5) Trusting God in every situation.
Oh, the joys of those who...delight in doing everything God wants them to... For the Lord watches over all the plans and paths of godly men... (Psalm 1:1...6)  I so want God to watch over me, therefore I want to live finding delight in pleasing Him.  

How does a man become wise?  The first step is to trust and reverence the Lord.  (Prov 1:7)  That verse matches up with the final point in becoming more Christ-like.  It's always interesting to me how what I read in a devotional magazine tends to line up with what I am reading that day in God's Word.  It's like God reinforcing to me what He wants me to hear...to learn.  

I finished reading The Daily Bible, which took me through the Bible in one year in chronological order in the New International Version. This year I am reading The One Year Bible, reading through the complete Bible again, but this time I am reading from The Living Bible version...a very easy to read translation.  Each day I will read a portion from the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Psalms, and Proverbs.  That will be a nice variation from last year.  

I do believe that's enough for this Sunday's blog.  Check back next week!

No comments: