Sunday, January 9, 2011

God Still Speaks - and I Still Need to Hear Him!

When we woke up this morning, it was ONE degree out.  It was so cold last night I put out extra food and blankets on the porch for the camp cats.  I feel so sorry for them.  I continually put warm water in their water dishes to help them warm up on the inside.  The dogs like to just sit in their chair at the window and watch the cats come and go.    A few of them seem to be staying in the "Cat Camp" I set up for them.  They have been a source of winter entertainment for me.  Oh, by the way, by 3 p.m. it was 30 degrees out and I took the dogs for a longer walk.  They enjoyed that!  They experience cabin fever too if we don't get out now and then.


It's been a busy week at the office, but I like it that way.  The days go more quickly when I am busy.  I was ecstatic to complete most of the tax related items.  Another week and I will have the end of the year, once a year, duties completed.  That will feel good!!


I've enjoyed reading The Living Bible version of God's Word.  It reads more like a story...very understandable.  When I first wanted to read the Bible through, back when I was a teenager, I couldn't grasp much of what was written in the King James Version.  It just wasn't that interesting to me...the language seemed so archaic.  When I was given a New Testament in The Living Bible version, I read through it with no problem.  I've since read through the Bible in other versions, but it's relaxing to come back to The Living Bible.  Even a child could comprehend it.


Notes from my personal devotions this past week:


Travel light, practice personal discipline, avoid distractions, keep focused on Jesus.


Lord, you are my shield, my glory, and my only hope.  (Ps 3:3)


I will lie down in peace and sleep, for though I am alone, O Lord, you will keep me safe.  (Ps 4:8)


The death stage:  no funds, no friends, no fight left within you.  When this occurs to you, recall the words of Jesus:  Unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies (to self) it produces much grain.  (Jn 12:24)


Under the laws of Moses the rule was, "If you murder, you must die."  But I have added to that rule, and tell you that if you are only angry, even in your own home, you are in danger of judgement!  (Matt 5:22)


Come, O Lord, and make me well (my mind is filled with apprehension and gloom - vs 3).  In your kindness save me.  (Ps 6:4)


Your hopes may be nonexistent and your soul parched, but if you will pay attention to what God is saying to you, your dreams will come to life again.


When you pray, go away by yourself, all alone, and shut the door behind you and pray to your Father secretly, and your Father, who knows your secrets, will reward you.  (Matt 6:6)


The power of prayer is not dependent on how good the person is who is praying, rather the power of prayer comes from God who hears the prayers and loves the person praying.  


So don't be anxious about tomorrow.  God will take care of your tomorrows too.  Live one day at a time.  (Matt 6:34)


Faithful means to be trustworthy and reliable, and it means showing up daily with a good attitude.


Well, that's pretty much what God hi-lighted to me this week in my Bible and devotional reading, in response to my prayers to Him about where I am at in life.  I've got lots to work on...lots of ground to regain.  I think I am border lined depressed, but trying to avoid a complete fallout.  My time with God is what brings me peace and balance.  I start my day with Him, and take Him down through the day with me, and then end my day in communication with Him.  He knows my present, my past, my future, and He holds my hand through it all.  I still trust Him, always.

No comments: