Sunday, March 27, 2011

Revival

We are in the midst of a revival at our church.  Dr. Mark Quanstrom from Olivet Nazarene University, is our speaker.  Friday night he spoke on the parable of the Father and Two Sons.  He contends that the story was not about the two sons, each in their own way needing forgiveness.  Rather, it is about the Father, who is full of grace, who is always searching for us and ready to extend His grace to us.  We are sinners, saved by grace.


We were challenged by the question of where we would sit in a restaurant.  It used to be that there was a smoking area and a non-smoking area.  If instead there were a sinner's area and a non-sinner's area, in which area would we choose to sit?  Then Mark asked us where would Jesus sit?  Obviously Jesus would choose to sit with sinners, for that is why He came and sacrificed His life.  Are we willing to admit we are just sinners saved by grace, and that Jesus wants us to reach out to those who are in need of His grace?


Saturday night Dr. Quanstrom spoke on the wee little man, Zacheus, who climbed up a sycamore tree to see Jesus when He passed by.  Even though Zacheus wanted to see Jesus, it was Zacheus that Jesus was searching for.  He told Zacheus to come down for Jesus planned to go to his house.  Jesus sought and saved that which was lost...Zacheus.  The point being that we do not look for Jesus for our salvation, Jesus seeks us out.  We don't go to Jesus on our own.  It is the Spirit of Jesus that draws us to Him.  This is a comfort to me in that those I pray for to have a relationship with Jesus, I can rest assured that Jesus is and will continue to seek them out.  It will still be their choice whether to accept Jesus or not, but Jesus does not give up...His grace and His love compels Him to seek out the lost.


Today is our final day, and I may give a recap after the next two services.  Dr. Quanstrom has a way of going deeper into the scripture to find truth that we may overlook.  He expands on the stories we have heard all of our lives, and gives us a new thought, a new nugget to devour.  


I got a great deal on Craig's List this week, and I lost out on one.  I plugged in "Karen Kingsbury", an author I just started reading this past winter.  I really enjoy her books for they pull me into the story...a story normally taken from real life.  New books cost $20 or more, but I found 12 books for $15.  I now have my reading for the whole next year.  I keep one fiction book going while working on other theological or inspirational books.  I keep the books I am currently reading over to the right in the side bar.


The deal I lost was a large collection of Pfaltzgraff dishes...service for 8 and all the side pieces...for $40.  When I was in Colonial Williamsburg last October, I found three bowls for $7 in the Goodwill store.  I purchased them and love using them.  The set for sale on Craig's List was the same pattern...Yorktowne.  This is an older pattern and no longer available.  So...sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  Such is life.


Things were getting a little crazy on the campgrounds, so we decided to take a day away and drove up to Paul's parents to visit and to take them out to Applebee's for lunch.  I really like their broccoli and cheese soup....mm mm good!  We took the dogs along for the ride, which is always a treat for them.


I needed a "pick me up" Friday, so I got my hair cut while in town to do my banking and shopping. I had not had a hair cut since last December, so it was time.  Yesterday I made a batch of no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies and took some around to my ladies, along with a small bag of chips.  More important than the treats is that I took time to visit with 3 of the 4.  I know they are lonely and appreciate anyone who comes by to visit.  I don't do it often enough.


Last night we used Skype for the first time.  We had a great family visit with our son and daughter-in-law who live in New Mexico.  How nice to feel like we are sitting in the same room together having conversation!!  We'll have to try it with our other son and granddaughters now.  


Just a few notes this week from my daily devotions:


Psalms:

  • O God, my God!  How I search for you!  How I thirst for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water.  How I long to find you!  How I wish I could go into your sanctuary to see your strength and glory, for your love and kindness are better to me than life itself.  How I praise you!  (63:1-3)
  • I lie awake at night thinking of you...of how much you have helped me...and how I rejoice through the night beneath the protecting shadow of your wings.  I follow close behind you, protected by your strong right arm.  (63:6-9)

The Word for You Today:
  • God uses the thing that should have destroyed us to develop us
  • What you focus on will greatly influence your life, so focus on Jesus
  • see others as Jesus sees them, not as they are
  • walls built to keep others out will lock you in

Deuteronomy:
  • But you will also begin to search for Jehovah your God, and you shall find him when you search for him with all your heart and souls.  (4:29)
  • Whatever is in the heart overflows into speech.  (4:45)
  • Understand, therefore, that the Lord your God is the faithful God who for a thousand generations keeps his promises and constantly loves those who love him and who obey his commands.  (7:9)

No comments: