Monday, March 14, 2011

Spring Break!

I am in the midst of one of my favorite times of the year.  I love spring!  Even though I do not see new life springing forth as of yet, I can feel it in the air...and it won't be long before leaves will start coming on and new buds and warmer weather.  Out will come the golf carts, and our snowbirds will be flying back north.  I can hardly wait!


My favorite times of the year, however, are when my two granddaughters are with us.  They are here during their spring break.  Last year we spent a week in Gatlinburg, TN with them.  This year we are staying in Michigan, mostly at home.  However, today we are headed to a lodge with an indoor water park in Frankenmuth...a German village in eastern Michigan.  It's a quaint little village, and I'm sure we will have fun for the next couple of days.


We picked them up on Saturday (Dad brought them halfway) and they had play time with the dogs, birthday presents to open, and cats to watch.  Yesterday we had church at home, showing the children's version of The Jesus Film.  After lunch we took them to the Kalamazoo Nature Center to the Maple Sugar Festival.  We visited an old farm homestead and saw demonstrations of how life used to be, plus how maple trees are tapped for maple fluid.  We had a horse drawn wagon ride, and we also saw a Birds of Prey demonstration.  Came home to a big meal of beef and noodles, and watched a movie.  We are going to be watching the "Anne of Green Gables" series this week.


Last week I had some of our co-workers in for supper a couple of nights.  We spent one day out of town on camp business.  We are continuing to prepare for camp registration on-line this year...scrambling to get ready for it as people are waiting to begin the process.


I'm up early this morning trying to catch up and be ready for the girls when they wake up.  We have to board the dogs before we leave, but want to get an early start.


Here's my weekly devotional highlights:


The Word for You Today:
  1. God uses our self-made messes to show us our need of Him in our lives.  If we will admit to our mistakes when we stumble, God will forgive us.  We must also apologize to people that are involved, learn from our mistakes, and move forward.
  2. Encourages are usually people who prefer not to be the center of attention.  They enjoy the role of being supportive...and little would get done without them.
  3. Words spoken cannot be retrieved, so use your words wisely so that they encourage others and glorify Jesus.
  4. Core values are principles that should determine how you act.  My core values are:    HOPE:  H-holy life  O-obedient will  P-pure heart  E-eternal values
  5. When you face struggles you are better equipped to help others.  You also learn to trust God and not yourself.
  6. Painful events can make you bitter or better.  Forgive instead of retaliating; pray so that you can act out of love rather than anger; read scripture to relieve anger.

Mark - the New Testament:
  • However, no one, not even the angels in heaven, nor I myself, knows the day or hour when these things will happen; only the Father knows.  And since you don't know when it will happen, stay alert.  Be on the watch for my return.  (13:32-33)
  • Keep a sharp lookout!  For you do not know when I will come, at evening, at midnight, early dawn or late daybreak.  Don't let me find you sleeping.  Watch for my return!  (13:35-37)

Psalms:
  • What I want from you is your true thanks; I want your promises fulfilled.  I want you to trust me in your times of trouble, so I can rescue you, and you can give me glory. (50:14-15)
  • But true praise is a worthy sacrifice; this really honors me.  Those who walk in my paths will receive salvation from the Lord.  (50:23)
  • Create in me a new, clean heart, O God, filled with clean thoughts and right desires...  Restore to me again the joy of your salvation and make me willing to obey you...  A broken and a contrite heart, O God, you will not ignore.  (51:10, 12, 17)
  • Give your burdens to the Lord.  He will carry them.  He will not permit the godly to slip or fall.  (55:22)
  • But when I am afraid, I will put my confidence in you.  Yes, I will trust the promises of God.  And since I am trusting Him, what can mere man do to me?  (56:3-4)
  • This one thing I know:  God is for me!  (55:10)

Proverbs:
  • God protects the upright but destroys the wicked.  The good shall never lose God's blessings, but the wicked shall lose everything.  (10:29-30)
  • The Lord hates cheating and dishonesty.  Proud men end in shame, but the meek become wise.  A good man is guided by his honesty; the evil man is destroyed by his dishonesty.  (11:1-3)


No comments: