Saturday, May 5, 2018

Aspects of Christian Literature - Chapter 5

6-12-1989

Today we reviewed Till We Have Faces.  We discussed Orual's ugliness was a result of the ugly spirit she had inside her.  At the close of the book as she develops a kind spirit, she also turns physically beautiful.  

I think the same is true of us.  A beautiful girl can be spiteful and haughty and rude, and no one really cares to be around her.  But a person who has inner beauty and warmth has a drawing effect on others.  There is an attraction deeper than the skin.

Lewis wrote this book to portray how Christian people have a tendency to want others to fit their mold, as though they are God.  If you don't fit, you are rejected.  How well I know the feeling!  I have felt it in every church I have ever attended for any length of time.  Why do people think becoming a Christian makes them an instant judge.  Personally I don't think you can be both.  Christ never judged.  He offered the truth, to be accepted or rejected.  He did not come quoting dress codes and rules.

I am reminded of a point made in last night's sermon...we are accountable for every word we say.  We will stand before Christ one day, and this time He will be our Judge.  And every word, every deed will be examined.  The awesomeness of accountability!

I'm reading the book a second time, trying to pick up the finer points in preparation for Wednesday's test.  Why do I have such a hard time capturing what I read and hear?  Where are my powers of concentration and retention?  How will I ever make it through to a degree?  I depend upon God's help as I faithfully do my pat to attend class and study.

(Professor's note:  You seem to have a deep understanding of what you read!)


No comments: