Saturday, May 12, 2018

Aspects of Christian Literature - Class Presentations

Love Comes Softly, Janette Oakes

This sounds like an interesting author to read when I'm looking for easy-reading, fantasy escape type reading.  I have trouble reading love stories at this time because of the longings within me.  It tends to make me focus on what's missing in my life instead of living grateful for the blessings in my life.

My choice of reading for now seems to be that which is beneficial to building the inner life, strengthening the character, preparing me for the ministry God has chosen me for.


The Valliant Papers, Calvin Miller

The powers behind the scenes - guardian angels.  Sounds like a very interesting book/author.  The angel is Valiant.


Phantasies, George McDonald

Fantasies of main character.  Main goal to get back to real life (search for God).  Deep reading, lots of poetry.


Patricia, Grace Livingston Hill

Christian romance series - easy reading.  She had such a spiritually rich background that the influence carried over in her writing.  I've read several of her books, and find her very enjoyable to read.


Two From Galilee, Marjorie Holms

Romantic love story about Mary & Joseph.  I have read this book several years ago, and would like to read it again.


The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne

Lady is adulterous - letter A to represent it
Has secret lover - minister
Symbolism in his writing


In His Steps, Charles Sheldon

This is an excellent book - leaves one changed in priorities and worldview.  I have read the book and seen the movie.


Pilgrim's Progress, Paul Bunyon

Major works of all times.   Story is of a man's search for eternal life (Christian).  Characters are allegories.  Names of characters portrayed their characters.  Christian is John Bunyon, and the characters re people he had met.  Written from prison.  This is a book I would like to read since it is a Christian Classic.  
(Professor's note:  You will love it!)


Utopia, Sir Thomas Moore

Lots of dialog.
Narrator (Moore, author) and sailor
Utopia - land of no existence, new world based on Christian values


War In Heaven, Charles ?

Struggle between good and evil


Swiss Family Robinson, ??

Family shipwrecked on island


Tilly,   ??

About abortion



No comments: