Sunday, April 10, 2011

Summer Day in the Middle of Spring

It is 82 degrees out today!!Two days ago I was still wearing a winter coat, and today - no coat.  I like this!  Except...where's the days in between winter and summer?  I'm sure they will be here.  In fact, it's going to be storming and in the sixties the next couple of days.  Winter seems to have been extra long this year, and we all anticipate spring to come and hang around at least a few days before we head into a hot summer.  


Well, another year has passed in my life.  Last year I took myself out for a whole day, and as the day wore on, I got grumpier.  By the time I got home, I wouldn't even speak to my husband.  I was so upset with myself that I could have such a selfish attitude at age 60.  Like by that age, I should have myself pulled together and able to handle anything that comes my way with grace, and have a smile for everyone, and not let things get to me.  


So this year I didn't anticipate the birthday, nor did I plan for it, and I truly didn't even want to acknowledge it.  However, cards started trickling in, a lunch offer came in (she cancelled), a supper offer was given me (I took it), an office party to celebrate three birthdays provided a birthday cake for me (and the others), my sons and granddaughters all called me.  My husband even gave me a gift of the day...whatever I wanted to get done that day, he would do it.  So we spent the day cleaning...the garage, the house, the storage cottage, the backyard (raked and trimmed), the gutters, the front porch.  He is normally busy with camp items, so to have his assistance for a whole day truly was a gift...a gift of his precious time.  Therefore I took him out for a pizza for supper, and gave him the last root beer for a root beer float.  Love is all about sacrifice...and we both displayed our love for each other on my birthday.  Maybe I am growing up after all!


We've gotten our golf carts out of storage.  I've been riding mine to work this past week...it has a rain guard on it which also helps knock down the wind and coldness.  Yesterday, when it was only 70 degrees (smile), we drove around the camp grounds to check out what needs to be done before the camping season begins.  It's looking pretty good out there  We have already had some volunteers come in to trim trees and clean up branches.  It won't be long before the RV crowd starts showing up for the season and settling in.  Our resident snowbirds, who have houses on the grounds, are starting to trickle back also.  The campgrounds are coming to life once again.  And the bird chatter tells me we are going to have a lot of baby birds soon.  Wow...what beautiful courting songs are being sung!!


From my devotional reading this week:


"The Word For You Today"
1.  On denomination-ism:
  • we are all related by the blood of Jesus
  • people are not drawn to a church by its sign over the door, but by the love that is shown
2.  On boldness:
  • being bold does not mean being insensitive or rude
  • you risk rejection stepping outside the boundaries of what others think
  • you must give an account of yourself to God, not to the opinions of others
3.  On the power of parental love:
  • there are three kinds of love:  love if you meet my need; love because you met my need; love in spite of everything...Godly love...unconditional love
  • a child's attitude and performance improve if they know they are loved unconditionally
  • when children are denied love from their parents, they will seek love substitutes, which may be self-destructing
  • children will rebel out of their need for acceptance
  • self-centered parents love only when it benefits them, children need unconditional love
  • support and encourage your children by being present and involved in their activities

Deuteronomy
  • He will change you into a holy people dedicated to himself; this he has promised to do if you will only obey him and walk in his ways. (28:9)
  • Look, today I have set before you life and death, depending on whether you obey or disobey.  I have commanded you to love the Lord your God and to follow his paths and keep his laws, so that you will live...  (30:15-16)
  • ...choose life, that you and your children might live and choose to love the Lord your God and to obey him and to cling to him, for he is your life and the length of your days.  (30:19-20)
  • Be strong!  Be courageous!  Do not be afraid of them!  For the Lord your God will be with you.  He will neither fail you nor forsake you.  (31:6)

Joshua
  • Yes, be bold and strong!  Banish fear and doubt!  For remember, the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.  (1:9)

Luke
  • Purity is best demonstrated by generosity. (11:41)
  • Beware!  Don't always be wishing for what you don't have.  For real life and real living are not related to how rich we are.  (12:15)
  • ...what's the use of worrying?  What good does it do?  Will it add a single day to your life?  Of course not!  (12:25)
  • ...don't worry at all that God will provide it for you.  (12:29)
  • ...your heavenly Father knows your needs.  He will always give you all you need from day to day if you will make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.  (12:30-31)
  • Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be.  (12:34)
  • ...be ready all the time.  For I, the Messiah, will come when least expected.  (12:40)

Psalm
  • O God, your ways are holy.  Where is there any other as mighty as you?  You are the God of miracles and wonders.  You still demonstrate your awesome powers.  (77:13-14)

Proverbs
  • Some people like to make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise soothe and heal.  (12:18)  (I am guilty of making cutting remarks...I'm sometimes very hard to be around.  I don't want to be that way, and it brings me to my knees often.  I still need God to work on me and in me.)
  • Truth stands the test of time; lies are soon exposed.  Deceit fills hearts that are plotting for evil; joy fills hearts that are planning for good!  (12:19-20)
  • Anxious hearts are very heavy, but a word of encouragement does wonders!  (12:25)

No comments: